© 2016 by Historic John Lane Farm, Inc.

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
Green Acres Theme -
00:00 / 00:00

Who We Are

Honorary Board Members:

  • Stan "Tex" Banash

  • Joann Reeves

Board Members

Ron Bonick - Executive Board

Sylvia Kuffel - President

Joseph Kuffel - VP

Michelle Svee - Secretary

Brittany Svee - Treasurer/Site Administrator 

Lorie Bonick

Andrew Kuffel

Sharon Svee

Land History

 

Native Indians

Yankee Settlement

I & M Canal

John Lane Farm

Reed Farm

Zielke Farm: 1948-current

Interested in being a volunteer?

Contact:

Michelle Svee (secretary)

chelle42978@gmail.com

THE HISTORY

The Barn was built in the 1920's using wooden beams from the original barn built by John Lane, approximately in the 1830's. As it stands today, the barn is in desperate need of a roof. When you are driving by, you can see holes in the roof which is allowing rain to eat away at the upper floor of the barn. The outside of the barn will also need to be restored along with working windows and doors so this barn can be used safely by the public.

 

The restoration project has been started but work has been put on hold due to the condition of the barn.

 

The proposed use of this building, when renovated, will serve as an Events Center, This site will share history about farming, along with a museum sharing the history of John Lane's "groundbreaking" invention - the steel plow. A Section will be used for planning and gardening. 

The Montessori School of Lemont is our first school to participate in the farming project.  They have been learning hands on about organic farming, and have been helping with the fundraising for the restoration project.

December 31, 2015, a good group of local people  started the Historic John Lane Farm, Inc. (NFP) 501 C-3   in hopes to raise enough money to donate towards the restoration of this barn as one of their first projects.

 Will County approved our site for the first historical mural to be displayed in Will County. Our mural shows John Lane and his invention, the plow. Artist Michelle Mowbray Later of Wilmington, IL  designed the  200 x200 John Lane Plow Mural and it is now on display where everyone can see it along side Gougar Road in Lockport.  Please come take a picture and see her beautiful work.

 

In 1936 a monument sharing the information about John Lane was placed on site sharing the historic information to anyone who is on the historic tours throughout Will County and the State of Illinois. If you travel to Washington D. C. a plaque is on display in the Agriculture Building stating that John Lane is the first inventor of the steel plow, not John Deere.

 

Our farm has been accepted by the city of Lockport and Homer Glenn to host an annual “John Lane Days” event each year to raise money and it is held on the second weekend in July. To learn more about the event, go to the event tab on the top of the page.

COME OUT AND HELP US PRESERVE THE HISTORIC JOHN LANE FARM!